This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers' Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers' rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers' rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers' rights divorce.
Print PDF

child support divorceBy Daniel Exner

Cordell & Cordell

Milwaukee Divorce Lawyer

There is a gray area when it comes to paying child support after a couple has separated but before any paperwork is filed or court orders issued.

Many divorcing dads wonder if they should be paying child support during this separation period. Should you pay if there is no court order? Is it considered abandonment if you do not pay?

There is a legal and a practical answer to those questions.

Legally, you are not required to make child support payments to your spouse unless the court orders the payments. Parties are always free to make arrangements and offer agreements on child support, but the court retains the final word for the best interests of the children.

Parents are obligated to support their children, though. After the divorce paperwork is filed, and if you two cannot agree on support payments, the court may order you to pay temporary or permanent support. This order will generally be based on the child custody schedule, the number of children, and the comparable income of the parties.

How Much Should You Be Paying?
Child Support Calculators

Practically, a voluntary payment of support may affect the progression of your case. For instance, if you pay $100 per week and those payments satisfactorily cover the children's expenses, you may be able to avoid temporary orders on the subject. Additionally, the opposing party may be more willing to negotiate on other issues.

As mentioned, you should also consider the disparity in income between you and the opposing party and the parenting time schedule you're currently exercising.

If you make significantly more than the opposing party and she exercises more visitation with the children, you may end up paying much more than $100 per week if this goes to court.

A divorce lawyer would need more information on your surrounding circumstances before giving direction on how to proceed. I recommend discussing your matter with a family law attorney before taking any major action in your case.  

Cordell & Cordell:
Divorce Attorneys For Men

divorce lawyer Daniel ExnerCordell & Cordell has men's divorce lawyers located nationwide. To schedule an appointment with a divorce attorney, including Milwaukee Divorce Lawyer Daniel Exner, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

Comments (5)Add Comment
help to stop a divorce
written by Alison, August 11, 2012
My name is ALISON from England, would want to tell you all that i was able to put an end to my divorce issue and restore my marriage again, because i never wanted it to happen. i don't know what came over my husband that he was filling for divorce, i tried to talk him out of it when he told me and he didn't listen to me, i had no other option than to seek for the help of a spell caster and now am glad i did. Because if not for the help of spell, i don't know what would have become of me by now because i loved my husband so much that i couldn't stand loosing him. The spell worked like magic with the way and manner my husband change and started showing love instead of the divorce he was planning. i just too happy that everything is in place for me now. I would gladly recommend the use of spell to any one going through marriage problems and want to put an end to it. [ was were i got the help to restore my marriage]
written by Atty. Daniel Exner, March 01, 2013
Case law and ethical obligations prevent me from recommending the use of magic in any lawsuit.
Not sure what to do
written by Austin, June 01, 2014
My ex girlfriend and I have been split for awhile. During that time I had a period where I had no job and couldnt pay child support (we never have had anything legalized or done in courts). But when I got a job q began to pay child support. She constantly tells me I cant see my son or talk to him when I say something she disagrees with. She also tells me im gunna go to jail for back child support. ? I just need some clarification on this situation can you help? I live in idaho so im sure its a little different than Wisconsin. Thanks
how i get my ex back
written by melisa, December 15, 2014

I promise to share this testimony all over the world once my boyfriend return back to me, and today with all due respect i want to thank DR.Kasee for bringing joy and happiness to my relationship and my family. I want to inform you all that there is a spell caster that is real and genuine. I never believed in any of these things until i loose my boyfriend, I required help until i found a grate spell caster, And he cast a love spell for me, and he assured me that I will get my boyfriend back in two days after the spell has been cast. two days later, my phone rang, and so shockingly, it was my boyfriend who has not called me for past 4 years now, and made an apology for the heart break, and told me that he is ready to be my back bone till the rest of his life with me. DR.Kasee released him up to know how much i loved and wanted him. And opened his eyes to picture how love much we have share together. As I`m writing this testimony right now I`m the most happiest girl on earth and me and my boyfriend is living a happy life and our love is now stronger than how it were even before our break up. So that`s why I promised to share my testimony all over the universe.All thanks goes to DR.Kasee for the excessive work that he has done for me. Below is the Are you undergoing a heart break, and I assure you that as he has done mine for me, he will definitely help you too. that is his email address ONIMALOVESPELL@YAHOO.COM
Testimony Of my life
written by billey, December 18, 2014
I am Laura Billey by name from united kingdom. Greetings to every one that is reading my wonderful testimony. I have been rejected by my husband after three(3) years of marriage just because another woman had a spell on him and he left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster called priest Owo of this address have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a woman had a spell on my husband and he told me that he will help me and in 24 hours that i will have my husband back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring Husband back and so many other things. because i am now happy with my husband. Thanks to Priest Owo, if not for him, my life will have been so misery for me. His email id is as follows if you want to contact him for any help:

Write comment
smaller | bigger

Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website