This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers' Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers' rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers' rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers' rights divorce.
Print PDF

divorce lawyer Daren NeelQuestion:

What happens to a temporary custody order if you never go back to court for the original child custody case?

I have a 50/50 temporary custody agreement. The court just issued a review of the original custody case filing, which has been inactive, and mentioned something about dismissing the case unless we show movement on it.

What happens to the temporary custody order if the judge dismisses the original case filing?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Kentucky divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

It appears from the information presented that the court issued a Sua Sponte Order for you to show cause why the case should not be dismissed. 

If the entire action is dismissed, then the orders stemming from that action would also be dismissed and would no longer be in effect. 

Therefore, if the court ordered a parenting time schedule and dismisses the case, then that order would no longer be in effect. However, you would remain a joint custodian as an operation of law.

If you wish to keep the case open and move it forward, you may want to consider filing an affidavit with the court indicating that the case needs to remain active and simultaneously file a motion for the court to hold a status conference/case management conference.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Louisville Divorce Lawyer Daren C. Neel, contact Cordell & Cordell.

Comments (0)Add Comment

Write comment
smaller | bigger

Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website