This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers rights divorce.
Tags >> taxes
Feb 28, 2012

mens divorce lawyerQuestion:

I just read your divorce tax tips article that said child support was not tax deductible, but alimony is.

My understanding is that unallocated family support payments are fully deductible by the paying spouse and fully taxable to the recipient spouse if the divorce decree specifies that the amount being paid is unallocated support.  

Is this true? Is unallocated support tax deductible?

Feb 28, 2012

tax tipsBy Jennifer M. Paine

Michigan Divorce Lawyer

No matter what your settlement agreement/divorce decree calls it, you can deduct payments to your ex under four circumstances.

You can deduct payments that:

Feb 21, 2012

tax tipsBy Jennifer M. Paine

Michigan Divorce Lawyer

The simple answer to the tax question, "can I deduct child support?" is no. And forget about paying alimony, which is deductible, instead of child support.

The IRS can treat payments as child support despite what you call it if the payments are paid out as child support would be – during the child’s minority, in amounts that fluctuate with fluctuating income, childcare needs, etc., and so forth.

However, you might be paying expenses for your children that are deductible.

Feb 16, 2012

Noblesville Indiana Divorce LawyerQuestion:

Can I modify the divorce decree if I signed the papers without fully realizing the ramifications of some of the court orders?

I went through my divorce pro se, and at the time I didn't realize how screwed I was when I signed the divorce decree that apparently doesn't allow me to claim any dependents. This has resulted in me owing thousands of dollars on my taxes.

Can I have the decree re-negotiated?

Feb 16, 2012

advice on divorceQuestion:

Who gets to claim our child for tax purposes if our son was in state custody for 6 months last year?


Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website