This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers rights divorce.
Tags >> residency
Feb 14, 2014

where to file divorceBy Jennifer M. Paine

Cordell & Cordell Divorce Lawyer

There are two concepts that interplay when choosing where to file for divorce.

The first is subject matter jurisdiction. Subject matter jurisdiction refers to the court’s reach/jurisdiction over the topic/subject of your case. In other words, you must file your case in a court that handles divorces and not, for example, in probate or small claims court.

The second, and more important for you, is personal jurisdiction. Personal jurisdiction refers to the court’s jurisdiction over the litigants (you and your wife).

Generally, only one of you must reside in the state for the court to have personal jurisdiction.

If you and your wife reside in separate states or even separate counties, depending on your state’s laws, where you file can make or break your case. 

Given options for filing, what should you do? Ask these five questions:

Nov 08, 2012

divorce lawyer Andrew LaufersQuestion:

I am moving to another state and would like that state's divorce laws to apply to my case once I establish residency.

My divorce case is final in the state I currently live in, but when I'm settled in my new state can I transfer jurisdiction to that state?

Aug 20, 2012

divorce jurisdictionQuestion:

My wife and I are currently separated and live in separate states, though our child lives with me. I do not yet meet the residency requirements to file for divorce in my state, but my wife does meet the residency requirements in her state.

She says that once she files for divorce in her state that she will get primary custody, and I will have to send our child to live with her.

My question is does my wife's home state have jurisdiction over my child and I so I would be forced to send my child to live with my wife once she files for divorce?

Nov 16, 2011

divorce laws by stateBy Matt Allen


If you live in New Hampshire and want a quickie divorce, you're in luck. But if you live just over the state line in Vermont, then settle in for a long, drawn-out case.

That's how varied divorce laws are in the U.S. as these two border states rank as the easiest and hardest states, respectively, to get a divorce, according to a report from Bloomberg Rankings.

In New Hampshire there is no minimum processing time or residency requirement, but in Vermont a divorce will take a minimum of 15 months.

Sep 05, 2011

divorce decreeQuestion:

I need a bit of clarification on the domicile requirement for filing a divorce. Where I am from (Texas), I understand that at least one person must be domiciled in Texas for the preceding 6-month period and they have to be a resident of the county for the preceding 90-day period.

Does the 6-month period have to be consecutive? By this I mean, would it be possible for a person visiting the U.S. on a tourist visa to legally file for divorce in the U.S.?

Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website