This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers rights divorce.
Tags >> continuance
Jul 24, 2013

motion for continuanceBy Leslie Lorenzano

Cordell & Cordell Divorce Lawyer

A common question parties in a family law matter ask is, "How long will this process take?" What often drags out the process is a Motion for Continuance.

Courts usually schedule a hearing simply by looking at its own calendar of availability. The court then sends out an order setting the hearing date and time to the parties and their divorce attorneys. 

Thus, often a situation arises where either a party or his/her attorney has a scheduling conflict with the date selected by the court. 

A common remedy to this situation is to file a Motion to Continue the hearing, which requests that the court reschedule the hearing for a new date and time.

Feb 01, 2013

divorce lawyer Caroline ThompsonQuestion:

My case keeps getting delayed, rescheduled, and pushed back due to continuances and the court schedule.

Once a temporary order and an order setting hearing has been filed in the court, when does it expire if the judge has not heard the case?

Jun 01, 2010

Question:ask a divorce lawyer

I need some legal advice on divorce. My divorce case has dragged on for four years. My wife is stalling the case (not showing up, not bringing the correct forms, etc.) The court has been very lenient with her, just setting another court date. I'm engaged to be married now and I want to be bifurcated so I can move on and get married and continue these dragged out court proceedings to end my marriage. How do I do this?


Nov 29, 1999


My friend's divorce hearing is in two days and he is representing himself. In my opinion he is not prepared and I am worried about his chances. He is a great father and his wife not such a great mom. There are two little girls involved and I believe that they would be much better off with their father. Is there anything that he can do to postpone or delay the trial so that he might have more time to properly prepare? Thanks in advance for any help of advice that you may be able to offer.


He can ask for a continuance. He can tell the court he wants counsel and is not prepared. The Court may not grant the continuance though if it has been pending a long time, such as a year.

Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website