This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers' Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers' rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers' rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers' rights divorce.
Print PDF

divorce attorney Jill DuffyQuestion:

Due to confusion and a clerical error, I was recently told I owe $12,000 in back child support because my child support case was not properly closed.

This arrearage of child support is showing on my credit reports as bad debt. We have a letter from the child support office explaining what happened, but it still shows as bad debt.

How can I inform the creditors of the child support office's mistake and get this bad debt removed?


There are two steps that you can take to help fix this problem.

First, you should contact the credit bureau and ask to put the letter from the child support office on your credit report. This will notify future creditors that you are disputing this debt and allow them to read the explanation for the debt.

Second, you should work with the child support office to get this debt removed. Some states allow arrearages to be waived by consent of the parties or an order from the court. Your local child support office should have more information regarding the procedures in your state.

Do not rely on this information as establishing an attorney-client relationship. Contact an attorney immediately for assistance.

Cordell & Cordell represents men in divorce nationwide.


Jill A. Duffy is an Associate Attorney in the Troy, Mich., office of Cordell & Cordell. She is licensed to practice in the state of Michigan. Ms. Duffy received her BA in Psychology and Spanish and graduated Magna Cum Laude from Oakland University. She received her Juris Doctor from Michigan State University College of Law and graduated Magna Cum Laude.

Comments (1)Add Comment
written by Barry, September 01, 2013
My child support is payed regularly every month and a portion of my two monthly payments is payed to my "back child support". My question is, Why they do not report my monthly payments and my payments to the "back child support" and to remind you my son is 16 yrs. old and they have been on my credit for over 11yrs.....How do I remove them.

Write comment
smaller | bigger

Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website