This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers rights divorce.
Print PDF

Question:Divorce lawyer Leslie Lorenzano

I have been paying child support arrearages for what seems like forever.

My child is now a grown adult with a family of his own yet I am still trying to pay off child support!

Why do I have to keep paying if the money is no longer going to support my child?


Child support arrearages can build up quickly and take months or years to eliminate.

Child support arrearages do not disappear when the original support obligation terminates. So even though your son is an adult with his own family to support, you still owe money for the support you were obligated to pay when your son was a minor child. 

You should not, however, be paying for any new support obligations at this point, so make sure that the support you are paying is only for the back support you owe from years past. 

If you are paying for arrearages accrued while your son was a minor, you will have to continue to pay those support arrearage payments until the arrearage is paid off. When you are in arrears on support, the state may take a number of steps to force you to pay your arrearage, including garnish your wages and apply your tax refund to your arrearage. 

The court can also charge interest for your arrearage. The support you pay continues to go to the person you owed the payments to, presumably the mother of your son. You may not file bankruptcy on your child support arrearages, and the support arrearage will not go away until it is paid in full.

The best way to determine how to eliminate your arrearage is to first check with the Child Support office to determine how much arrearage you still owe and ensure that this is the correct amount (calculation errors can be made by the state). 

If the amount owed is incorrect from some reason, such as you were held liable for support after your child was declared emancipated by the court or you were held liable for support in an amount different from the court-ordered amount, you may petition the court to fix your child support obligation. 

If the amount you owe is correct, then you are obligated to pay that amount in full eventually. You may be able to contact the child support division of the prosecutor’s office to discuss settling on your arrearage as well.

Cordell & Cordell has divorce attorneys located nationwide.


Leslie Lorenzano is a Staff Attorney in the Indianapolis, Indiana office of Cordell & Cordell where she practices domestic relations exclusively. Ms. Lorenzano is licensed in the state of Indiana and the U.S. District Court Sothern District of Indiana. Ms. Lorenzano received her Bachelor of Arts in Sociology from Purdue University, and her Juris Doctor from the University of Arizona – James E. Rogers College of Law.

Comments (53)Add Comment
paying arrears, to child?
written by Rebecca, December 06, 2011
Recently my husband has meet his 20 year old son for the first time, he know lives with us and his new family, he has stated that he has NOT lived with his mother since the age of 16! can we look into this and get 2 years of arrears taken off? Also can his rent and expenses be taken off our back support, or is there a way to pay his son the money or even the step-father that supported him rather then a mother that is bi-polar and not stable.
..., Low-rated comment [Show]
Social Security being garnished?
written by Bewildered, October 14, 2012
To IMomMom. Hold on a sec! I thought Social Security was exempt from child support collection. This doesn't sound right to me. Is this based on state?
written by Mr.Dad, January 10, 2013
I received full custody of my sons from their mom but what I want to know is since the Amended custody order I am no longer obligated to pay support to her but am still accumulating arrears on top of what I already had. I don't know why I still have to pay since I have full custody and they live with me and have for over a year and a half!!!
Some one should sue the State of California for insane intrest rates on late child support payments
written by Ken, February 08, 2013
I am a father who paid child support to my ex girlfriend and I brought cloths and school supplies for my children and paid for whatever they needed when I was employed when ever I was late on payments child support charged me intrest like the kids are credit cards or something the ex did not even have my kids for long periods of time and I still pay even when my kids lived with me I had to pay this is wrong and I know that their has to be help some where to stop this .
child support
written by need help, March 10, 2013
My husband owes back child support. He is willing to pay every cent he OWES. My concern is the interest that is accruing. His ex-wife continues to apply all payments to to the interest. We haven't even touched the the back support yet.Shouldn't the payment be applied to the support first then the interest? as i calculate it, it will take 8 years to pay the interestand thats no tincluding the new years interest she adds on.We live in New York
written by ava, April 11, 2013
I didn't read everyone's comment but the original reply did not answer the question of WHY he is still paying his arrearages if his adult child is not receiving any of it??? WHO IS GETTING THE MONEY IF THE CHILD IS AN ADULT AND ISN'T RECEIVING IT? and....why is this happening?
written by Hector r., May 20, 2013
I had a baby when I was 16yrs old with a women that was 22yrs old at tha time and married. Little girl has the ex husbands last name and is 8yrs old now. Now she's going after me for child support after 8 yrs the little girl is mine its exactly me. But what can I do from all that back pay child support?
written by natasha, May 31, 2013
Ok. So when a parent fails/or is ordered to pay arrearage then you have to pay. The money goes to. the custodial parent which is typically the mother. Just because the child is an adult now doesnt mean the arrears disappears in thin air.i dont understand whats so hard to grasp about the concept.
written by jason, June 05, 2013
what a shame for all who are struggling to survive
I paid my child support but when i returned from being overseas in the service
the x went for more due to the extra money I earned for being overseas and was awarded it. and now I owe more then I can pay in a few years plus the children will be adults
gotta love this system
it stinks and they get away with it
written by Aricca, July 02, 2013
I feel that once the child reaches adulthood, if the noncustodial parent still owes arrears, then they should go to the child. I am a custodial parent, and when my children get their child support, I do not keep it, and they are still minors (I only help them manage their money and they do quite well), however, I feel that when they reach adulthood the youngest child should receive the money in his/her name. Here in TX the custodial parent gets it in form of a debit card or direct deposit, so I feel once the child graduates/reaches 18, the card should come in his/her name. The money is for the children, after all.
Child Support
written by Concerned Parent, July 18, 2013
Hello everyone,

I want to just explain a few things. When a parent owes arrearage, it means at some point they failed to meet the child support obligations which leaves the custodial parent to fully take care of the child with no help. This money is owed back to the custodial parent and not the child even if they are adults or not. Please keep in mind this is money being paid back and the custodial parent that was left unpaid when the non custodial parents was not keeping up with the payments. It takes 2 parents to support a child. I don't understand why it is so hard to understand about arrears. My ex owes me $27,000 and I struggle every day. However, I will do all I can to support my kids.
written by Franklin G, July 27, 2013
Child support can become a scam. Imagine a father who is not behind at all in the arrears but the court order has him paying for daycare expenses and the child hasn't been to daycare in over 7 years...she is almost 11 years old now. Her sister is age 19 and because the support was established together and they are still taking out child support for her as well. She will soon be 20. North Carolina is a rip off for the system.
written by Michael E, July 27, 2013
Regrettably, child support have evolved (or rather, devolved) into a system that persecutes non-custodial parents, generally (though far from always) men. The federal government pays the states for the money they collect, so the states will do virtually anything to collect it. Destroy its citizens, wreck familities, whatever. Everyday I go to work and pay my child support for my two children, but I know that once day something will happen and I will get behind and I will be destroyed and they won't have a father anymore. That doesn't matter though, it's all about the money.
written by Kriss B, August 05, 2013
Can i ask a question if im not registered on this site?
If you paid, there wouldn't BE arrears to contest
written by Ariana386, September 13, 2013
Several comments here:

1) Social Security Disability is NOT exempt from child support---they will with hold it and send it to the child, often at a higher rate than what state guidelines would have calculated for child support obligations.

2) Arrears can still be enforced, even after a child emancipates, and can even be applied against the estate of the parent obligated to pay should they become deceased.
a) Arrears are owed to the CUSTODIAL PARENT, as they are the ones that had to take up the slack when the Non custodial parent did not meet child support obligations while the child(ren) was a minor.
b) If interest becomes an issue, try to pay ahead so less interest is assessed---tax returns, for example? I know it isn't what you want to hear, but again, had the payments come on time (and believe me, I know things happen) there wouldn't even BE any arrears to discuss now.
c) If a custodial opens a case and also wants arrearage (such as for the man above who has an 8-yr old little girl), the custodial parent can only go back THREE YEARS for the arrearage. Also, since she was married at the time, her husband is the "Legal Father" and will have to be disestablished by DNA first before any obligation can be assigned to the biological father (who will also need to be DNA'd if he does not voluntarily acknowledge the child at that point).

3) For the military person who stated that while he was deployed his ex "went for more money", she couldn't have accomplished this without you being served and made aware of what she was doing. If you were making more money then, she had the rights to ask for more from you to help support your child. If you are no longer making that kind of money, you have the right to request a modification in the courts to reduce your obligation based on both of your incomes.

4) Generally, you must prove you have a significant change(in income/circumstance/disability/etc) to request a modification if your support order is less than 3 yrs old. However, if the order is over three years old, you will receive a notification that clearly states that you have the rights to ask for/request a modification of your support order/obligation. If you do not keep your address updated with your local Child Support Enforcement office, or you do not exercise these rights that are available, then you will be the one to miss out.

Just some free advice.... Hope it helped at least one person.
Child support arrears
written by Tina, September 14, 2013
Pay what you owe up to the point he turned 18 or age of emancipation. if you have paid that in full everything you are paying now is going to the state. since your obligation to your child has been paid in full the state is raking in the arrears that they added on. the state makes a mint off child support arrears and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Why should so much interest be added? it is wrong!! once the child becomes of age interest should stop but it does not. broken and corrupt system.
reform child support laws
written by Robert, September 21, 2013
How do we go about reforming the child support laws in California as well as the other States on back child support and the interest rates. Can the state of California be sued for embezzling and extortion of back child support to help finance their administration fees. Because that's what there doing. that's what the White House is a lot of it that's what the White House is allowing and all our congressman.

Arrears and Interest Go to Custodial Parent
written by TC, October 06, 2013
In response to Tina's comment above, the state does not "make a mint" off child support arrears. This is absurd. i am a custodial parent receiving arrearage payments plus interest from a noncustodial parent who decided not to pay child support payments for years. All of it goes to me. The state takes nothing and is entitled to nothing. That's just complete misinformation.
written by Redone, October 14, 2013
Actually, states DO make money off child support collections. They receive federal funding that is directly based on the number of child support cases they pursue and are able to collect funds on. It amounts to millions of dollars in free revenue for the states.

Nearly every state also charges custodial parents a processing fee, which is included in the child support payments, but which goes to the state, not to the custodial parent. Again, that equals more revenue for the states.
written by Michael, October 15, 2013
Child support interest should be against the law. You should pay what you owe and no more. That should be the law!!!
written by Cecil, October 15, 2013
My wife and I separated in 2001 and filed for divorce, she immediately agreed to me having custody of my son. until the divorce was actually final in 2004 I shared a joint account with my ex and put money into this account every two weeks for her expenses and car payments and for my daughter. in 2005 my daughter came to live with me full time and I was still being charged support for arrears on both kids which I just had stopped on my son 2 years ago. I found out that I was being charged for the money she was receiving for being on public assistance and she was still claiming the kids lived with her while I'm being charged for the money that my kids weren't seeing. now I recently looked at a statement that showed my principle balance at 230.00 and interest at 5000.00. my kids are adults now and lived with me through the majority of this situation. his there any help for the widows son?
written by A daughter not supprted, October 18, 2013
Wow as I read this I sure can see all the deadbeat dads who owe back support or the spouses of those owing! If you are a parent and you choose to not pay for your kids then why should you be let off the hook just because your child turned 18? I am the daughter of a deadbeat who owes my mom arrears of over $900,000 because of interest and the 16 yrs of non payment! Why should interest be charged because thats a debt you owe to someone. If you owe any company, dr office anything it accrues interest! Why would/should this debt be any different. When you stopped paying your kids felt the pain! Less food..less Mom time...Less clothes all the things a kid needs to live now has to be covered by the custodial parent. I had to step up and act as an adult at 12 because my dad didn't want to fair is that? It wasn't, now hes finally got "recorded" money coming in my moms getting some arrears! She giving some of it to my mom has passed and my dad gets to collect his full checks and continue to say F You to his kids! I'm sickened by the fact that people really think its acceptable to not pay for their kids and just live their happy little life! You are hurting your kids NOT their ex when you don't pay!
Told by Attorney for Child Support, I make too much money
written by Tony, October 21, 2013
I have been paying 900 in child support for over 7 years, while I was being jerked around about seeing my kids. Finally decided to file for a visitation order, only to have the mother re-up for more child support. Naturally, I have gotten raises since it began, and was now ordered to pay way over $1800 in support plus arrear payments ($150 per mo) because they back dated 5 months. As I argued articulately with the judge, claiming Child Support is not supposed to transfer wealth, he ignored me and entered the final judgment against me. This literally destroyed me, the Judge might as well have given me a foreclosure notice on my home, because now, Im left with a lil over $1000 bucks to pay a mortgage ($1600) utilities and other bills. My mortgage was late for the first time, and Im barely keeping utilities on and defaulting on loans. Is this really what the Child Support system is about? Disenfranchising men and some women? If it is then our legal system is sadly misguided. All they took into account was interest and principal on mortgage payment, and I guess you're not supposed to have lights and gas on in your home or pay the taxes on your property. This system sends more men into poverty than any other thing that could possibly happen to them. Then you try to get a second job, or a promotion so you can live, then they take that......
written by Tornados Lust, October 22, 2013
Natasha, the reason why that concept is so hard for non-custodial parents to grasp that thought is they think that because their offspring is now an adult, what they owe should be forgiven. They think that as long as they can "hide out" until the child is 18 years, they should be free and clear. They don't view it as what it really and truly is which is simply reimbursing the custodial parent back monies for covering their sorry assess all those years, and even then, it never normally comes close.

Arrears = "reimbursment".

Hint: Don't let other people cover your portion of financial responsibilities and you wont have to worry about paying them back. Contribute to their upbringing like a responsible adult should! But no! Alot of people seem to think it's fine to dodge paying their share and allow the custodial parent to cover their portion and then when age 18 rolls around, *poof*, they no longer owe.

The State of Indiana supports this concept, meaning, if you're a non-custodial parent who owes back support, you can avoid paying child support (there are no consquences) and if you can manage this for 18 years, they will terminate the original Court Order and they will NOT go after you for arrears. You will be able to pay $5 a year if you like, or, simply NOT pay at all! In other words, Court Ordered Child Support in Indiana is "optional". Yes, thats right, "OPTIONAL"!
Beeville Texas Minds
written by MLara, November 02, 2013
Child Support is stupid period! Its to help the child, yes, but after watching my neighbor complain that 480 isn't enough is rediculous! &I seen that she took the childs father to court for mor money. She barely has the child anyway, but she would always come by & ask if I needed anything &came back with stupid junk that she regret getting so she sold for not even half price but for less. I think that "Mothers" like myself should save receipts or to be tracked on what they spend the kids money on. My daughters father put himself on child support, if he's late on a payment I do not complain because I wasn't the one that put him on that. No matter how bad I may need it I don't complain. I don't need a man in a suit telling their father when to see his child and when not to, that is just plain rediculous, I learned by watching these females (so called mothers) spend their child support on drugs, beer, clothes for themselves, spending it on other people, and cry to want more! Someone should handle this crap seriously because its like these "fathers" are working their butts off just to support their kids &the mothers are calling them low downs when they don't get more, LADIES!? THE MEN ARE DOING IT FOR THE CHILD NOT FOR YOUR BOYFRIENDS, OR YOUR DRUGS & ALCHOHOL, stop with the so called "deadbeat" when you don't know the meaning of the word. 480 is enough for your child maybe even OVER ENOUGH. I get 65 every month & its enough for my daughter, so don't f**kn complain getting 480, be glad you even get a freaking dime anyway! Because weither or not he worked his ass off for that dime. He still owes 1,000 but that's effecting him not me.
c'mon fellas. if you owe anyone anything just because you stop paying them doesn't mean you don't still owe them...
written by billy, November 04, 2013
there is no reason why a father shouldn't have to pay what he owes just because he didn't pay. because many "men" (rolls eyes) don't pay child support their children burden others with paying for their welfare checks, food stamps, free school lunches, medical, dental and daycare etc. if everyone else has to pay for your kid for 18 years, too friggin bad if you have to pay back what you didn't pay and made everyone else have to.

it's sad when workers can't afford medical care for themselves because they are taxed have to pay it for some deadbeat. that takes away from helping build roads, build schools, job programs, their medical and even food of of their plates. when me and my family suffer, I don't have a gram of pity nor respect for someone that was the cause of it...
written by Sylvester Roberson, November 08, 2013
Child support is use to put the non-custodial parent in poverty,if the government really want to help the children then they would work on helping the parents to work together and help teach them to be parents,punishing the non-custodial parent dose not help the child,it only make the children hate.
written by Sylvester Roberson, November 08, 2013
Some custodial parents use the child support system as a tool to punish the non-custodial parent because he moved on and doing well and they are not.i am responsible to do my part for the child,but i shouldn't be responsible for the mother and her children she had with another man,and i shouldn't be responsible if the custodial parent decide to get on welfare and is to lazy to work,or had to many children.
Just Pay Up..
written by Get A Grip, November 12, 2013
My Ex was ordered to pay $253.00 monthly over 18 years ago.. Obviously that is not nearly enough to help supplement raising a child. He had regular visitation rights in the past until my son refused to see him that frequently. He owns his own company has some how always been able to dodge the system I haven't received a dime and he now owes approx. $75,000,00 in arrears. Our son is now 20 and in college and yes the money would still helpful as we need to pay for tuition, books, etc... I've taken on a much bigger debt (financially) over the years getting him to where he is a successful young man and I have had a legal obligation to pay it back; so why shouldn't I be obligated to get repaid for what was rightfully owed to me?

Pay Up.. You're hurting no one besides your kids..
written by charley, November 13, 2013
hI, I currently have custody of my son his mother was order to pay child support 4yrs ago
in the state of California. she did not pay for three years and owed over $11,000 in arrears
now the department of child support services has closed the case because she was living in another state and not working and she all of sudden she owes son is now living with her and child support department says there is nothing that can be can she get away without supporting her kid all those years and not owe a penny? and now she is going to file for support and make me pay. I dont know what to do.
Arrears and Interest is not extra money!
written by Cheryl, November 16, 2013
My ex finally paid off his arrears when my son was 22. The only reason it was paid off was because they seized his federal return. For years, my son's father worked under the table. My now husband and I had to pay for him without any help. This includes food, shelter, medical, and clothes. It's not cheap to raise a child. We used credit cards that accrued interest when we didn't have the cash. We still have to pay off those credit cards.

My son's fathers original order was $50 a week. Then moved up to $67.50 when my son was 10. That is not a lot of money barely covered food.

Now my son's father owes me over $4000 in interest even though the original order is paid in full. So think about how long he didn't pay his support to accrue that much in interest on a $67.00 a week order. He owes this money to me not the state. I was never on welfare so the interest goes to me not the state.

Now my son's father wants me to waive the interest now. Why should I do this considering for years my husband and I supported our son? I realize everyone has hard times but for 18 years? His answer, he has another family. Not my problem. He should have stepped up to the plate when his oldest son needed it.

Now he refuses to pay. I believe I have to take him to small claims court because it's not child support but interest. So apparently, I have to pay to take him to court once again because he's still the dead beat he always was.
You won't believe this!
written by Fed Up!, November 17, 2013
My husband and I have been married for 13.5 years. When we married, he had a 5.5 year old son from a previous relationship. After we got married, my husband went down and voluntarily set up child support payments for Jr. because he loves him and wanted to help provide for him. My husband has always paid his support and is only $600 in arrears (due to having lost a job over the summer). He is ordered to pay $300/month in support. So, my husband being the responsible person he is, decided to not only get 1 new job but 2 so that he could make up for what he had missed paying. What do you think happened? Now both jobs are taking out $300/month for his child support and he just received a notice that they are going to begin taking out another $25/week to pay off his arrearages! So now, Sr. is on the hook for over $700/month for a $300/month support agreement on a 19 year old man that Sr. hasn't seen for over 8 years because Jr.'s mother forbad it. For you New Jerseyans out there, beware! There is NO cut off age for child support in New Jersey. Child support continues no matter what until someone goes to the supreme court and has it cut off! Tell me, how can we get a lawyer when Sr. is paying 225% child support? We called an attorney firm for help and the first question they asked is "How do you plan to pay for an attorney?". Sr. hung up. We make too much money to get Legal Aid (not that we see much of the money). We need help. If an attorney could help us get the support stopped, then we could pay some after the fact. But we have zero money up front to pay for a lawyer. We can't even afford food and are about to be evicted through no fault of our own. My husband is working 60-70 hours a week and only brings home $225/week. This is utterly ridiculous! Somebody Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jr. needs to be emancipated! We filled out the paperwork and faxed it in but that was 6 months ago and nothing has been done about it yet. We have been told that Jr. can't be emancipated unless we go to court with a lawyer.
written by nelson perez, November 22, 2013
My brother in law has been paying arears for some time now and his ex wife has never spent a penny on the 2 sons which can be proven, but my question is now that the sons no longer live with their mother can he (brother in law) just pay the arears to his sons
Deadbeat Dad...ha...more like Deadbeat MOM!
written by Becky, December 02, 2013
Ha! It isn't always 'DEAD BEAT DADS' that owe arears. My husband was never married to his ex. They had a child and lived together for 5 years. His ex didn't even have a job. She stayed at home with the kid, in his house that he paid for. He worked his tail off during those 5 years. He bought all the formula, diapers, clothes, etc. When he left her (she cheated on him), she went to establish child support and slapped 5 years of arears on him. Yep...$17,000 back child support he owed from the start since they weren't married and child support had never been established. The court respresented her; however, not him. He didn't have the money to get a lawyer (he was in his early 20's and trying to raise his family). So, $17,000 he owes. His child is now 18 and he still owes $14,000 of arears. So, don't think that every man that owes is a dead beat dad. Oh yeah...guess what, the ex found out she was pregnant about a month ago (by her current husband) and took my husband back to court to increase the child support for the 18 year old (still paying because he is in high school). Guess worked. Lazy, crazy ex's. Be smart people! Do a DNA test and establish paternity ASAP if you have a child out of wedlock.
Not all Moms are greedy
written by Cheryl, December 03, 2013
Some states won't slap the father with back support when you go to court for a child support order. I live in MA. I didn't take my son's father to court until my son was almost 3. I didn't ask for back support because we were together prior to the court date. I didn't even ask for back support, I just wanted support to help as my son grew older. He did not pay once the order was established. That is how he got at one point over 20,000 in arrears.
confused and want to help my dad.
written by Tori, December 09, 2013
My dad was arrested on the 3rd for felony back child support. My sister and I are now 25 and 22. We understand that he owes this money to our mom but she really doesnt deserve it. My dads bail is 16000 dollars no 10% no bondsman.My sister and I want to write off what my dad owes. My mom failed to say anything to friend of the court when we were younger that when i was 16 cps removed me out of my mothers home and I was put in a friends home but my dad still had to pay support but why not my mom? When I was 14 I lived with my dad and my step mom but he still had to pay support for me and my sister who was still at my moms. My sister moved out of my moms house when she was 16 but my mom did not report that to friend of the court and my dad still had to pay all this and his arrears still kept climbing. My mother never used the child support money on my sister and I. She got disability and worked under the table. She had everything she wanted. Well now my sister and I want to help my dad. Please any advice will help.
totally not fair
written by john dough, December 11, 2013
to compare, if you had a credit card and owe 1000 on it, the 1000 doesnt go up. but according to child support laws if you owe 1000 a month ot whatever you owe then go out to get a extra job, the 1000 now turns into 1300 or more depending on the new income! this isnt just theft its intentionally ruining any possible remedy to pay off debts......
there's a big difference in child care vs support. these outrageous laws make people support mostly the women and when i say support i mean its an income. not a care giving support but an real income to where there chiks can actually lay back, quit there job and let the child support come in in the mean time not letting the kid see there dad... evil to the highest levels is what this is...
Would the state pay off child support arrearages to the custodial parent?
written by Vena218, January 02, 2014
I read online that some states would pay off child support arrearages to the custodial parent as a settlement. Is this true?
written by costodial parent, January 12, 2014
I think a lot of you people don't get the concept of child support. So let's put it in a different perspective. If I lived with you. . And owe you rent. But I for some reason don't want to or can't pay my rent. Im ordered to pay but I don't... so I live in your house for 18 years. You pay for all my food supplies. But then I move out. Does that mean I don't owe you anything anymore. I mean I know you did it by your self. Paid all the bills but I moved out now. I shouldn't have to pay for all those years of food and broard right. It's the same concept. You're not paying your adult children. You are paying her back for sacrificing all she did to feed those kids by herself while you went on and lived your own life.
written by costodial parent, January 12, 2014
If I had no children. I could live in a one bedroom apartment. Spend half the amount owe in utilities . I can travel more often for work and have free time to spend with my buddies I could afford a new car and trips. But I'm a costodial parent with no help. I have a 3 bedroom house in a nice neighborhood so my kids are safe and comfortable. I pay a lot for childcare because I need to work full time. Instead of hanging out with friends I come home cook dinner. Help w home work. Wash laundry and shower the kids. Instead of a nice vacation I buy your child her favorite toy cause she did good in school. Spend money on giving then a nice birthday party and extra cash so she doesn't feel left out cause she doesn't have money for chips and soda. I haven't received child support in 5 years. He is unemployed.
child support
written by james rodriguez, January 14, 2014
Can some one help me with this i live nj and have a baby mother in the state of florida she filed for child support in 2009 and they went back to when the child was burn in 1997 now the mother applied in 2009 that only 5 years of child support i should owe why the hell is florida messing with me i filed for appeal and they told me the florida stutes wasdone tords 1997 guidelines since the child was born in 1997 guidelines ithink there playing me out but i might need to get a laywer in florida for 1,500 to save 20,000 k or they are going to screw me like the jugde already did i just don;t believe it she took me in 2009 it shows on documitation paper work it states that in 2009 she did take me......need help on this....
A Bias System
written by Let's Make a Stand, January 28, 2014
This system is a bias system and built to destroy the unknown, whether it's men, women and/or children, someone has to become the target mainly men using them as a CASH COW to fund the Child Support Agencies...At best, the courts keep both parents at adversary, fighting etc, so they can keep one thing going is MONEY! To answer anyone's questions Please stop "calling men deadbeats"... Why don't the Mother's as known as the "Custodial Parent" just give the child to the Father's, in other words the money the father would have paid to mom, let him keep since he seems to be the elected one who's ordered to pay for child support. I think this is fair for both parties.. The key word, we are in the best interest of the child as the court alleges right??? I'm a mommy and when I don't have money to give to my children or pay for something I'm not charged 10% interest for not supporting my children.....Like I said, this system is bias to the unknown and we as American citizens must act now to help save our children, women and men! AMEN!!!
family court or civil court
written by Edams, February 04, 2014
looking for some answers if possible. My husband has a 25 year old son who has not lived with the mother since he was 15. Mother moved to another state and the child did not like it out. therefore came to live with the father for a while. At some point the child left his dads to live where he grow up at. Without either one of his parents. Around the age of 20 or so, the son moved in with us and wanted a car therefore the father decided to get him a car with the understanding that he will have his mother sign documents stating the arrears have been satisfied. Son got the car in which we paid 10,000.00 down for it plus insurance etc. Made monthly car payments. Yet the son will not have the mother sign documents. We have proof of all monies given to the son, is there way to file a case with family court to reflect this amount was paid because the case has been closed and the outstanding balance with no interest is owe in which is only arrears. Family court or civiil court? I ask about ciivil court because this his damage our credit his driver license etc???
child support
written by evelyn scharff, February 15, 2014
I was paying child support up until I couldn't afford to pay anymore because i was unemployed for two yrs and paying out of my unemployment checks and i told my ex husband that it will eventrully stop. so i made a last payment back in Sept of 2013 and then in jan we went to court and he knows i dont work nor have income and epects my boyfriend to pay which he wont and should not have to at all. However, now i owe 896 which is more then what i know i owe and i paid 40 from a credit card never do that again though they charge fees which is nuts. but intrestd is crazy too why are being charge intrested if cant afford as is to pay back what is owed the law needs to change. I am not working still looking and going back to school. while my ex lives off of my kids ssi money and he works and has section 8 and food stamps and his finace lives with him and she works as a teacher and his brother lives there. I feel im getting the short end. he forced me out of my own when we lived togetgher by bring his finace in and told lies about me and i went into depression. i mean really do i have any say or something .
so angry
written by kat, March 16, 2014
My husband is backed up arrears on adult children and domestics makes sure he's paying it. Despite losing his job and having a baby of our own. All money goes to HER. Meanwhile he helps me take care of three children from a previous relationship who was once backed up just as much but the state dropped it because "they don't feel like beating a dead horse" please explain to me while one man must pay for adult children him and his family were not allowed to see while I receive no support for three children that actually need support!!!???
child support enforcement
written by Rich, March 17, 2014
Its funny to me how court controls and turns a civil matter into a criminal matter. I have a paper signed by both parties stating no child support be ordered from either party i had 2 of 3 children. 3 yrs later one boy turn 18 moved n 2nd boy moved back to moms and immediately i get a suspended cdl license saying i owe 10,000 in support bullshit. Then order a mediation to dissolve money owed,". So it was auctioned to 7000.00 4 yrs later i get a paper today gonna screw w my cdl.hunting n fishing licenses..the judge states he never saw agreement? My fault? Im filing a lawsuit against the state of indiana, or there gonna move this to a higher court. There choice. I dont owe these communist vastards anything!
Child Support is not in the best interest of the children.
written by Sam, March 19, 2014
11 years ago I was told I owed child support for a 12 year old child in California. A child I did not know existed. They charged me with $29,000 of welfare debt this child had used. So the day I found out I had to pay child support, I started out more than $30 in arrears. First of all that is injustice. I spent the next 10 years paying child support, child support arrears and interest on the original $29,000. They have received over $100,000 from me towards this $29,000 debt yet the debt is now $59,000 due to the extorted interest charges. The child is now 23 years old. May or may not be my biological child and no money is due to the custodial parent. During this entire time, I was a single parent, raising a child by myself without support. My son is now 21 and moved out a couple months ago. He went without growing up because of the child support demanded in California for a child I had never met. According to the state of California, when I asked for a paternity test, it is in the best interest of the child that you are legally the father. What a bunch of crap. The child support system is complete and utterly unjust. Whoever invented it, should be ashamed of what they have done in the name of children's best interest. The only reason the mother named me as the father was to continue abusing the welfare system. I was an easy target since I hadn't lived in California for years. Does my home state (Indiana) help me? Not a chance. They could care less. The lawyers here tell me to go to California and fight it. The California lawyers simply take my money and do nothing. So continue ranting about how you can't support your child by yourself. If you can't then you have not tried hard enough. I did and I still paid the ridiculous child support obligation. Stop living off "the system" and get off your lazy butt and support your own child.
The truth
written by Lee Gee, April 09, 2014
The truth about support is that the support amounts are too high. When one parent has custody, they should not expect to get money for bills and utilities and so forth. C S is NOT alimony. If the non-custodial parent is getting nearly $1000 monthly, we all know that the child is not getting it, and even if they did they could not spend it without blowing it away. It is really a shame to try to break one parent, just because the other got the rights to a child, and possibly isn't even the best parent to boot.
written by Joe Blow, April 09, 2014
It is sad to hear all of the NCPs complaining about having to support thier kids. CS payments are calculated based on what it costs to raise a child and usually it costs much more.

Re "the Truth": the real truth is that you should crawl back into your hole where the courts left you and try and support your kids however you can LOSER.
The truth
written by Lee Gee, April 09, 2014
Exactly what u said Joe Blow.

CS payments should be based on what it takes to raise a child, but they are not. Take my case for example. I have 7 kids. 6 live with me, and 1 that does not, that I pay support for. My monthly support for her is $674. She gets absolutely none of that, yet her mother has a new car, new home, and a guy that hasn't worked for about 8 years. I buy all school clothes and pay for all activities such as cell phone, pet care, etc... I even tried to let it be, but it's sad to see her not have the things that she should because her mother uses Child Support money to satisfy herself and my child could just rot in hell for all she cares. It's very sad. I can not get custody because, in FL u have to show an endangerment to the child.
Most CS receivers are probably good. But there are some horrible ones out there that really make this system stink. And a lot of people with squinted eyes that see things only their way such as you.
I was told by the CS officer myself that the state only recognizes the children on support, not the ones that I have in my home. And if my daughter actually got some of it, I wouldn't mind so much. I even hear my other children saying they feel sorry for her.
So when u, Joe Blow, go get your CS goodies, how much goes into your pocket? How much does it take to raise a kid, really? Does everything given go to the child and nothing gets scraped off into your hands. I highly doubt it.

That money is for the children. Not to help you with your lights and utilities unless you're charging your child rent and such. Enjoy your new hair-do. Make sure to ask you're kid if the like it being that they paid for it.
written by kirstie, April 16, 2014
My ex is only required to pay $20 a week. You people complain about only getting $60 or so. Its not to pay your bills its to help your child.

My ex doesn't pay he just lets them take his tax check every year. And when I get it I buy our daughter clothes, a few toys she wants, and I put some in her piggy bank. Of and I use two hundred (of the almost $100 a year i get) to pay for four weeks of summer camp at the ymca.
I am remarried and have three other children (4 total) and we get by just fine without my ex paying. Does he owe it yes. But in my opinion in today's world don't have a baby if you cant afford one alone.

After a child is 18 yes you should still owe your back support. You decided not to pay it. Your fault.
Ex is asking for arrears and we had a verbal agreement for a different amount
written by Mark, April 22, 2014
I got divorced while in the military in GA. We had a verbal agreement that she would take a different lower amount, she signed and cashed every check. She is now through Michigan asking for the remainder of the amount. She is not allowing me time with my children. I want to fight her on the back childsupport, but am not getting any help finding out what I need to do, what forms, etc... I have callled the base, no help, I called the co court, no help. I cannot afford a lawyer, any advice?

Write comment
smaller | bigger

Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website