This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers' Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers' rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers' rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers' rights divorce.
Print PDF

Omaha Nebraska Divorce LawyerQuestion:

I feel like I am too poor to afford a divorce. Not just the attorney fees and court costs, but my inability to afford to live after a divorce has kept me from filing.

I don't make enough money to support two households and give her half of my paycheck for alimony and child support.

So what do people do when they are too poor to afford the aftereffects of a divorce?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Nebraska and Iowa divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

Many people operate under the misconception that they must pay for two households or that  half of their paycheck will go to their soon-to-be-ex.

Each state has different statutes governing alimony and child support and the amount that can logically be garnished. This is based on the circumstances of the parties, length of the marriage, time spent away from the work force to take care of a household, etc. Each case is different, and every state has different guidelines regarding the same.

It is my understanding you are having issues affording the filing fees for any court actions. Each state should have legal aid or some other type of legal assistance group that can either direct you to free or reduced legal assistance.

Often times these services can be located in the courthouse. You may also find a local "self-help" desk for learning to file on your own. Many times there are people can direct you on how to file on your own, or how to have filing fees waived in a divorce, if this is an option where you live. 

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Omaha, Nebraska Divorce Lawyer Jamie Kinkaid, contact Cordell & Cordell.

Comments (1)Add Comment
I agree!
written by lisa, December 12, 2012
My soon to be ex-husband is a good day but I don't see how he is going to be able to support himself and pay the child support that the court is going to require him to pay. I am confident that he will provide for his children during his visitations and if I should let him know that there is something they need, but having the court telling us what we have to do is very fustrating.

Write comment
smaller | bigger

Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website