This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers' Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers' rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers' rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers' rights divorce.
Print PDF

georgia divorce lawyerQuestion:

My ex-wife has undiagnosed narcissistic personality disorder with signs of being bi-polar and it is damaging our children when she has custody.

On her visitation weekends, it's just a series of badmouthing the kids and making fun of them, and I would like to modify child custody.

How much documentation of her disorder is needed to either force supervised visitation or remove visitation all together? At a minimum, how can I force psychiatric help?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Georgia child custody laws where I am licensed to practice.

First, keeping a journal in which you log every event and incident is always useful. If you believe it is in your children's best interests, you have the option of petitioning the court for a modification of child custody, which may include a request for supervised visitation.

Once a modification of custody action is pending, there are typically various options to assist the court in determining if supervised visitation is necessary. Such options include a guardian ad litem and/or use of a counselor, psychologist, or psychiatrist.

A guardian ad litem (GAL) is a third party appointed to represent the child(ren). Typically the GAL will interact with the child(ren) in both homes and talk with the child(ren) and both parents.

Then, the GAL will prepare a report describing the current situation and make a recommendation as to child custody, parenting time, etc. The GAL's report is not binding, however, the court will take the report into consideration when making its final determination of the issues in the case.

There is also the option of moving the court to require the mother to undergo a psychological or psychiatric evaluation or child custody evaluation. This evaluation may require all parties or just your ex-wife to meet with the professional on various occasions.

Once the professional has completed the evaluation, a report will be prepared for the court, that will diagnose any disorders, as well as provide an opinion as to the best visitation schedule.

Again, this report is not binding, but the court will use the results when making its ruling. Further, if the mother's disorder is severe, her testimony at trial may prospectively help your case.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with divorce lawyers for men in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Atlanta, Georgia Divorce Lawyer Amber R. Piotrowicz, contact Cordell & Cordell.

Comments (2)Add Comment
Be careful of child Guardians
written by I. Got Custody, June 06, 2012
Be very wary of child guardians, guardians ad litem, parent coordinators, etc. these people can make your life HELL. You have to pay for their time, which they control how much, and they are nosy, sneaky, and will try take over your life. You may have to live with them for years. Get another court ordeedr psychological evaluation. If she is as bad as you say, you will have custody as I do.

Good Luck!
written by Jim Weddigen, June 07, 2012
Terrible advice. GAL's are about as bad as the alienators themselves. In Illinois, we have written and are in the process of passing legislation which would clamp down on the earning power of GAL's because they have become so rampant and yet ineffective.

Most GAL's merely up the legal fees. And offer no assistance to the priocess except to solidify the origianl custody decision. This is because GAL's are attornies as well as some sort of social worker. These people are the problem. They simply don't get it. Divorce is an industry furthered by ignorance.

My advice would be to get a custody evaluation (3-4k)through a high level pschologist (NEVER use an LCSW or LCPC- social workers are useless. Their opinions or diagnoses are taken as fact yet they cannot legally diagnose).

Write comment
smaller | bigger

Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website