This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers' Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers' rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers' rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers' rights divorce.
Print PDF

Noblesville divorce lawyerQuestion:

My question is about filing for divorce and child custody. I am legally married with a child though I have not seen my wife or child in several years and do not know where they live.

What are the steps I must take to dissolve this marriage and establish parenting time so I can have a form of child custody in order to have a relationship with my kid?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Indiana divorce laws where I am licensed to practice.

Since you are legally married, you will need to Petition the Court to dissolve your marriage. Your wife will be served with your Petition for Dissolution of Marriage at the address you provide. If, however, she no longer resides at that address, you may have to request the court to serve her via publication in a newspaper of general circulation in the area she was last known to reside.

After your wife is served with the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, the court will then set a preliminary hearing to determine child custody, parenting time, child support, and other issues during the pendency of the divorce.

Divorce Resources:
The Divorce Process

The state where I practice has a 60-day waiting period between the time you file a Petition for Dissolution and when the divorce can be finalized. It's likely your state has a similar waiting period.

After the required waiting period has passed, a final hearing can be held and the court will order a division of any jointly held property, custody of your child, parenting time, and child support, as well as addressing any other issues pending before the court. If you and your wife are able to negotiate an agreement without a final hearing, your agreement can be filed with the court after the waiting period has ended.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Noblesville, Indiana Divorce Lawyer Sara Pitcher, contact Cordell & Cordell.

Comments (0)Add Comment

Write comment
smaller | bigger

Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website