This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers' Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers' rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers' rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers' rights divorce.
Print PDF

divorce attorney Jill DuffyQuestion:

I am an unwed father living with my girlfriend and our child. Even though we are living together, she thinks I should be paying her child support since we are not married.

Do I have to pay child support if the child is living with me?


First, let me preface my answer by stating that I am only licensed to practice law in Michigan. The information in the article is general in nature. You should contact an attorney in your jurisdiction immediately to discuss your options.

In most states, you do no have an obligation to pay child support if the child resides with you. It is presumed that you are paying for the child to live when it lives in your household.

Until there is a court order for child support, you do not have an obligation to pay support. If your girlfriend seeks to get child support she will have to petition the court and a child support formula will compute the correct amount of support to be paid.

Each state has its own child support calculator that will provide an estimated amount of your monthly child support. Visit the Child Support Calculator for a rough estimate of potential child support payments.

Cordell & Cordell represents men in divorce nationwide.


Jill A. Duffy is an Associate Attorney in the Troy, Mich., office of Cordell & Cordell. She is licensed to practice in the state of Michigan. Ms. Duffy received her BA in Psychology and Spanish and graduated Magna Cum Laude from Oakland University. She received her Juris Doctor from Michigan State University College of Law and graduated Magna Cum Laude.

Comments (0)Add Comment

Write comment
smaller | bigger

Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website