This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers' Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers' rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers' rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers' rights divorce.
Print PDF

divorce lawyer Jordan RapoffQuestion:

When I divorced my ex-wife my state's child support laws for termination of support was age 22 if the child continued to attend a higher education institution after high school.  

Several years ago child support laws changed and reduced the maximum age to 21. 

So can I stop paying child support when my child turns 21 under the new law or do I have to follow my order under the old child support law?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Missouri child support laws where I am licensed to practice.

Ultimately, the answer depends on the language of your divorce decree/child support order. 

If your order states that child support shall be paid until the age of emancipation as determined by state statute, then your child support can be terminated when your child turns 21, which is the current child support law.

However, if your order states that child support shall be paid until your child reaches age 22 as long as he attends a higher education institution after high school then you will need to follow your order and continue paying child support until your child turns 22.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult with a divorce lawyer in your jurisdiction.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Missouri Divorce Lawyer Jordan A. Rapoff, contact Cordell & Cordell.

Comments (0)Add Comment

Write comment
smaller | bigger

Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website