This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers' Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers' rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers' rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers' rights divorce.
Print PDF

divorce lawyer Aisha PridgenAsk A Lawyer Question:

I chose to file for legal separation from my wife for various reasons. We have been separated for 2 weeks. In North Carolina a couple must be separated for one year before they can file for divorce. During the separation period will I need to pay alimony and/or do I have any financial responsibility to my wife?

Ask A Lawyer Answer:

In North Carolina, for a spouse to be entitled to post-separation support or alimony (temporary support) the spouse must prove that he/she is dependent on the other for support, the spouse has inadequate resources, and the amount is equitable considering factors under North Carolina Gen. Stat. Sec. 50-16.2(A).

A spouse is entitled to alimony if the spouse proves he/she is dependent and the other party is the supporting spouse, and the amount is equitable considering all relevant factors.

In your case, if your wife provides sufficient evidence of the foregoing, the Court could grant your spouse’s request for spousal support and determine the length and amount of the support to be paid by you to her.

To schedule an appointment with a divorce attorney, including Aisha Pridgen, an Associate Attorney in the Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina, offices, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

Comments (0)Add Comment

Write comment
smaller | bigger

Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website