This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers' Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers' rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers' rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers' rights divorce.
Print PDF

St. Louis divorce lawyerQuestion:

What are the legal collection methods for unpaid child support?

I owe back child support and am paying through a wage garnishment.

Can the child support enforcement agency also freeze or garnish my bank account to take those assets as well?


I am unable to give you legal advice on divorce. I can only give general divorce help for men, though, my knowledge is based on Missouri divorce laws where I am temporarily permitted to practice.

Where I practice, a person's bank account can be garnished in addition to their wages in such instances where the obligor's child support payments are in arrears. Basically, a court in this situation can generally go after additional sources of income and even assets in order to recoup back child support payments. 

More specifically, the obligor has to be in arrears for all property of the obligor to be subject to collection actions, including, but not limited to, wage withholding, wage garnishment, liens, and executions. All of these collection actions are subject to federal guidelines for debt collection. 

In addition, the obligor should be notified regarding any collection action and shall be given the right to contest such withholding.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men. Consult with a local divorce lawyer for specific legal advice on divorce and child support laws.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Jennifer de Lyon Stralka, a St. Louis divorce lawyer, contact Cordell & Cordell Law Firm.

Comments (0)Add Comment

Write comment
smaller | bigger

Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website