This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers' Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers' rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers' rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers' rights divorce.
Print PDF

divorce attorney Jill DuffyQuestion:

My wife and I are both Indian citizens but I am in the U.S. working on a visa while she is back in India.

Can I file for divorce in the U.S. if my wife lives in another country? Or must it be filed in India where we are both citizens?


The state I practice in (Michigan) will recognize a marriage that was legal under the laws of a different state or country and can grant a divorce from that marriage. However, India may require that you register the Michigan divorce decree in order to recognize that the divorce is valid in India.

In order to file for divorce in Michigan, a party  must have lived in Michigan for at least 6 months, and in the county of filing for at least 10 days. If the other party is out of the country, the filing party must properly serve the summons and complaint under the Michigan Court Rules to ensure notice of the proceedings and an opportunity to defend against them. This is the requirement of due process.

Do not rely on this information as establishing an attorney-client relationship. Contact an attorney immediately for assistance.

Cordell & Cordell represents men in divorce nationwide.


Jill A. Duffy is an Associate Attorney in the Troy, Mich., office of Cordell & Cordell. She is licensed to practice in the state of Michigan. Ms. Duffy received her BA in Psychology and Spanish and graduated Magna Cum Laude from Oakland University. She received her Juris Doctor from Michigan State University College of Law and graduated Magna Cum Laude.

Comments (6)Add Comment
me and my wife
written by kenneth delancey, October 05, 2011
my wife lives in the philippines and i live in the u.s.a.i have no intentions of bringing her here to america.therefore i feel our marriage isnt going to work.i have no money these days and have no idea when i will be able to go back to the philippines and see can i research to find out if my marriage was legal in the philippines because thats where we got married.
written by DINA, October 12, 2011
MALLEN: You can check in the NATIONAL STATISTICS OFFICE website in the philippines to see if your marriage was legal. If you have the Marriage Certificate with you, then just look for the License number and search it up. (REQUEST FOR A COPY OF YOUR MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE)
How do I file a divorce in my case
written by Smitt , July 31, 2012
I resonantly got married in Vietnam, I am an US citizen and she is a Vietnamese citizen. After a few month married, I feel something wrong with our relationship. I would like to file a divorce, my wife currently still live in Vietnam. How can I file and what should I do? Please help.

written by Jerry, March 06, 2013
I married my British wife in Nevada in 1997, we moved to the UK n 2001, I have now moved back to Texas. I do not want a divorce however our two children (14 & 11) have told her and me on numerous ocassions (I have it in writing from them) they wish to live with me. I have told her that I would like for the kids to be able to be free to go back forth between and us have joint custody. She's refusing the children physical access with me to the point she won't allow them American citizenship, nor the benefits of my Social Security. She wrote me that she was staying in the UK and that if I want the divorce (because she doesn't want to pay for one) I could divorce her on grounds of adultery. The immediate thing I want is custody of the children, and then do the divorce later. She is also associating with criminal types, and has taken a lover whose wife has accused him of having sex with their 10 yo daughter. I also have copies of their emails where she says to him that she's going to make him our kids new daddy, and copies of 163 emails that show his soliciting for sex with prostitutes. Now you know why the kids want to be with me. I've even told her that I'd pay her flight/hotel to visit with the kids in the USA. She completely ignores me and the children and feels she has the upper hand because she won't let the kids have American passports. Our daughter has an old American passport born in the USA, our son born in the UK but birth registered with American Embassy. Jerry
Help! add on
written by Jerry, March 06, 2013
I'm going crazy trying to be nice and get my children. I need help guidance because I live on $1400/mn social security and can't afford 1000s in attorney fees.

Thank you
Public Health Advisor
written by Odell Pilot, November 28, 2014
I recently got married 6 months ago to a local Guyanese lady there in her country. I am US citizen and she currently lives in Georgetown, Guyana. The marriage simply not going to work between us and I would like to file a no fault divorce. Presently, I do not plan to bring her to the US on I-130 petition that I have file in her behalf. Could you provide any any information on how to file a divorce from the US?
Thank you very much!

Write comment
smaller | bigger

Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website