This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers rights divorce.
Print PDF

oklahoma city divorce lawyerQuestion:

Do child custody laws allow for a teenager to change custody agreements?

My ex-wife has had custody of our 16-year-old daughter for many years. Recently, my daughter has said she wants to come live with me partially because my ex-wife and her husband constantly say negative things about me.

To modify custody based on a 16-year-old's wishes, is it as simple as going to court and my daughter saying she would prefer to live with me, or do I have to prove that the environment in my house is better for her than having her mind poisoned against me in her mother's house?


This answer only includes general divorce help for men since I am only licensed to practice in Oklahoma and am thus unable to provide any legal advice on divorce on the divorce laws in other states.

The short answer to your question is yes. Given the age of your child (over the age of 12), changing child custody can be as simple as filing what is called a Motion to Modify Custody, Visitation and Child Support based on your daughter's desire to live with you and the fact that your ex and her husband routinely say negative things about you to the minor child in the attempt to poison the child's mind against you. 

You Might Be Interested In:
Can A Child Choose Where To Live?

Of course, while it can be that simple, there are other factors that the court must consider. The court is going to look at a plethora of factors to determine whether to grant the change of custody or not. 

It is what we call the totality of the circumstances test. After looking at all the factors, the court will weigh the evidence and make a decision. 

While I cannot predict what that decision will be, if your 16-year-old daughter is adamant that she wants to move and she can articulate valid reasons for why she wants to move, I believe there is a good chance the court will switch custody. 

Additionally, if your daughter is willing to testify that her mother routinely says negative things about you that will only make your chances better that the court will modify custody. 

As I am sure you know, a valid reason for your daughter wanting to come live with you is not and cannot be based on bribes, such as "Dad promised me a new car since I'm 16, but Mom said I have to work for one."

Please understand that my opinions are based upon the limited facts that you provided to me. For a more in depth discussion of fathers rights and legal advice on divorce, I urge you to contact a family law attorney

To set up an appointment with a Cordell & Cordell mens divorce attorney, including Brock Ellis, an Associate Attorney in the Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, office, please contact Cordell & Cordell.

Comments (2)Add Comment
written by Katie groce , June 11, 2012
I am about to turn 16. Can these facts apply to ke even though
My dad is the one that has full custody and not my mom??
written by Thayliz Peña, April 08, 2014
I'm 17 and I do not want to live with my mom. I feel as though my friends family and household is stable for me. His parents also want me to move with them. Is is possible that a court would give them all or atleast joint custody? Seeing as though I will be 18 in one year.

Write comment
smaller | bigger

Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website