This is an advertisement.

Divorce Advice for Men | Fathers Rights Divorce | Child Custody

Providing men with essential divorce advice, fathers rights divorce information and child custody articles. Dads Divorce is a community for men facing divorce or fathers rights issues and run by Cordell and Cordell. Cordell & Cordell is a family law firm with a focus on men's divorce, child custody and fathers rights divorce.
Print PDF


I have a standard shared parental responsibility agreement with my son's mother. We have never been married, and I am the non-custodial parent. My son's mother has filed a motion to relocate to Texas. I intend to file a motion of opposition to relocation, but if my motion is denied and the court allows her to move, then I plan to file a motion to become the custodial parent. Should I file the motion to be the custodial parent at the same time I file the opposition to relocation, or should I wait for the outcome of the latter? Also am I justified in the courts eyes to attempt to be the custodial parent just to keep my son close to me in Florida?


I assume that you have established paternity with the court. If you have not, you likely cannot file a Motion in Opposition. I generally file the Motion in Opposition and Motion to Modify Custody at the same time. If you have been an active parent and your wish to stay active is a basis for a Motion in Opposition. However, the Motion often hinges more on the reason the mother wishes to move.

Comments (0)Add Comment

Write comment
smaller | bigger

Divorce, Child Support, Alimony Information.
Men's Rights Website